Dear SLCS Family,
I hope you all had a great summer and that you are looking forward to the start of school. Much work has gone into preparing for the 2017-2018 school year Our dedicated faculty and staff are ready to meet the needs of all of our students.
Our School Improvement Committee met last year and defined four important focus items for the year ahead:
- Improve computer instruction in the elementary school and increase computer learning opportunities in the high school.This item will be addressed, in part, by the creation of a half-time computer job coach position in the elementary school and a new computer elective in the high school.
- Improve early literacy skills.This item will be addressed in part through the implementation of full-day pre-school and increased reading instruction in the elementary. The school has received a grant to create a reading/book club that partners elementary students with members of the senior center. Our NEA Big Read grant (www.neabieread.org). centered around the novel True Grit, will strengthen our school and community emphasis on reading.
- Improve career planning and college readiness for our students.This item will be addressed, in part, by a continuation of mentoring programs for students, occupational studies class for MS students, trips to college campuses, visits by representatives from colleges, information nights for parents and students that will help them understand the college financial aid and application process, and an individual focus on helping juniors and seniors make and solidify their college plans.
- Improved focus on the social and emotional needs of our studentsThis item will be addressed, in part, by additional counseling support provided by a full time school psychologist, early intervention programs where social skills are taught in the elementary classrooms, implementation of an elementary and middle school PBIS program (https://www.pbis.org/school). and a mental health professional on site one day per week.
As you can see from this list, many changes and new initiatives are in store for the upcoming year. We will also be making a major change to our school structure by moving the 6th grade class to the MS. Creation of our new 6th-8th grade middle school will allow us to better address the needs of these students during a crucial period of their lives.
The many changes we will be seeing this year will also result in hiring of new staff and a shuffling of some elementary assignments. The staffing of our elementary classes will be the following:
- Pre-K Ms. Root
- Kindergarten Ms. Gereau
- 1st Grade Mrs. Gath
- 2nd Grade Mrs. Shaughnessy
- Grade 3rd Mrs. Dunkley
- Grade 4th Mrs. Silvernail
- 5th Grade Ms. Schilling
While we believe that our changes will help our students achieve greater academic success this year, we are also committed to ensuring that we have many opportunities for our students to have fun, join clubs, play sports, and enjoy their year. We continue to have a full complement of athletic, theatrical, musical, philanthropic, academic, and school government clubs for student to choose from.
We want SLCS to be the social and academic center of the community. We encourage parents, students, and community members to fully immerse themselves in the school culture. Please take advantage of all of the opportunities that are available during the year.
Enjoy the year. We wish you great success. Please contact the office if there is anything we can do to assist you.
Stephen Gratto – SLCS School Superintendent